Wednesday, October 31, 2007

http://storiesstonesstation.pnn.com/3260-the-front-page


HANSARD P.E.I. LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 23 NOVEMBER 2006
196
The Legislature sat at 2:00 p.m.
Matters of Privilege and Recognition of
Guests
Speaker: The hon. Premier.
Premier Binns: Thank you very much, Mr.
Speaker.
Nice to see a good number of people in the
gallery this afternoon. Beautiful day here on
Prince Edward Island and I might take a
moment to welcome those people. I see two
people side by side. I doubt they’re
travelling together. One is Paul MacNeill,
from Eastern Graphic - welcome, Paul - as
well as Ralph Villard, the best barber on
Prince Edward Island. But he’s not cutting
as much hair as he used to. So I don’t have
that opportunity quite so much anymore. I
want to welcome all visitors to the gallery.
I believe all Islanders were saddened to
learn of the passing of distinguished Atlantic
musician John Allan Cameron. He certainly
performed often on Prince Edward Island.
There wouldn’t be too many people in my
generation who perhaps hadn’t sung the
Four Marys or some of those great old tunes
that belong to John Allan Cameron. He was
indeed a person who brought traditional
music to the masses and to recognize - not
only on Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia
or Cape Breton, and of course throughout
North America and into Europe especially.
So we do want to recognize his passing and
extend our sympathies to his families from
Prince Edward Island.
Earlier today just briefly I had the
opportunity of meeting with representatives
of the CN Pensioners Club, Mr. Robert
Trainer, the president, and so on. I wanted to
mention this because we’re celebrating this
year 50 years of the pensioners under the
railway on Prince Edward Island. I think the
club was formed in 1956, I believe, so it’s
50 years that they have been in existence.
They have 360 members, and they’re
looking to the future, and establishing a
virtual cenotaph to help remember the
stories, the stones, the stages, the link that
the Prince Edward Island railway, and
railways generally, made in the province. I
think it’s a tremendous idea, a great vision
from our pensioners, and I appreciate their
good work.
Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
Some Hon. Members: Hear, hear!

No comments: